Monday, 30 September 2013
Gramma's Baby Quilt
In June, I posted about the restoration performed on this King sized quilt. This weekend I had the pleasure of restoring another of my cousin Jennifer's quilts, a baby quilt made by our Gramma. The same staggered brick, Diamond pattern was present. Tied with yarn, the backing was thin and torn.
I stretched out the new backing onto the quilting frame, placed the quilt on top, and began to replace the yarn ties working from the center out to the edges. Then I removed the quilt from the frame and undid the binding stitches, as the backing had been folded over to the front, using the self binding method.
Next I basted around the edges of the quilt and trimmed the old and new backing flush with the edge. Using the scraps from the new backing, I made and applied the binding strips. The finishing touch was to reapply this original label, which had been lovingly sewn on by the hands of my Gramma D.
There are many things I have enjoyed about working on Jennifer's quilts. Among them are the thoughts that come to mind while labouring in love. Of my Gramma, of family, of babies. It has been 13 years now since my last baby was born. Time keeps merrily rolling along!
However..... Rainbow Armadillo isn't in a hurry to return this quilt any time soon!
Keep On Quilting On!