18 Apr 2017

Economy Block Tutorial

Today I am sharing a tutorial for the Economy Block. This traditional block is also known as "Diamond in a Square" or "Square in a Square" quilt block.




This block has always appealed to me. I have seen many versions made by so many other quilters. But it isn't until now that I am finally making a quilt using these blocks myself!


For my quilt I am making 12" quilt blocks.
But this tutorial will allow you to make the Economy Block in sizes ranging from 4" to 15".




The first column in the cutting chart shows what the finished size of the block will be.


Finished
Block Size
1 @ A
2 @ B
2 @ C
4”
2.50
3.00
3.50
5”
3.00
3.25
4.00
6”
3.50
3.50
4.50
7”
4.00
4.00
5.00
8”
4.50
4.25
5.50
9”
5.00
4.75
6.00
10”
5.50
5.00
6.50
12”
6.50
5.75
7.50
15”
8.00
6.75
9.00


CUT one center A square.
CUT two inner B squares and cut in half on the diagonal.
CUT two outer C squares and cut in half on the diagonal.



CENTER the long edge of two B triangles on opposing sides of the A square.
SEW using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
PRESS the seams open or press toward the triangles.
TRIM the sides even with the square’s edge.
REPEAT with the other two B triangles.
TRIM the edges to allow for 1/4″ seam allowances.





CENTER the long edge of two C triangles on opposing sides of the square’s edge.
SEW using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
PRESS the seams open or press toward the triangles.
TRIM the sides even with the square’s edge.
REPEAT with the other two C triangles.
TRIM the edges to allow for 1/4″ seam allowances.







Here are some of my completed blocks.



These adorable prints are from the Panda collection by David Walker for Free Spirit Fabrics and are available for pre-order now. You can see all the prints in the collection here.





My blocks are soon going to become a sweet baby quilt that I will be sharing as part of a blog hop that is being hosted by Free Spirit. My post will be shared during the week of April 26. Did I mention... There will also be a GIVEAWAY? I am so excited!!!







Print Friendly and PDF



COPYRIGHT
© Lorna McMahon at Sew Fresh Quilts

This quilt block tutorial is for PERSONAL USE ONLY.
All photos and content are my own unless otherwise noted. Please DO NOT use or reproduce ANY content from this website without my written permission.


Have you ever made a quilt using this block??????






Keep On Quilting On!





Follow







To follow Sew Fresh Quilts by email....

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

20 comments:

Paige said...

Thanks Lorna! Great tutorial! I just love that fun strip and those pandas are so cute!

KaHolly said...

Fun fabrics! Great tutorial! Always need a refresher course. I especially appreciate the size chart! Enjoy your day!

Little Quiltsong said...

Thank you Lorna!! I've always loved the Economy Block, but seemed to get lost in the measurements when trying to make them larger or smaller. Your chart will be wonderful to use. The panda fabric is so cute - beautiful bright colors along with the cute faces.

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Thanks Lorna for the chart with all the sizes! I started these with 6.5" blocks but now I'm thinking about upsizing!

Alice said...

Love the pandas! And thank you for the size chart. I have never made a quilt from this block, but who knows...???

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Thanks Lorna for the tutorial. I love that you added the size chart. It is very easy for us new quilter to use.

SarahZ said...

Thank you for this, Lorna! I have never even made this block, much less a whole quilt! It looks fun tho!! Like you, I have seen lots of folks have lots of fun with it, and your blocks are no exception!!!

Cut&Alter said...

Thanks for this post Lorna. I like economy blocks but would never want to paper piece them so this cutting sheet is a great resource to have!

Julierose said...

Thank you SO much for the lovely and clear tutorial. Your blocks are so adorable...Hugs, Julierose

Ioleen Kimmel said...

Love the pandas 🐼. Thanks for sharing.

Lorinda Davis said...

Thank you for sharing the tutorial and your super cute blocks. That is a happy collection of fabrics!

Natureluvr57 said...

I love this tutorial because I love large center squares to showcase a fussy cut piece. This will help tremendously.

Rosemary B❤️ said...

You are a doll.
This is a very good tutorial so easy to follow, especially for peeps like me that tend to get confused easily.
Thank you always for your generosity and sharing.♥️

shoshu said...

thank you for such an easy way to do this, and thank you for sharing all the wonderful posts!

Melinda said...

LOVE, where do I get this fabric?!PLEASE :)

Crazy Bike Lady said...

Gollywollydoodle Lorna! Thank you so much for your clear directions, fun fabric choices, the size chart! and for your generous heart - also LOVE the Print Friendly button at the bottom! I need a quick quilt - those 12" blocks are the PERFECT solution! So very grateful!

pja said...

Thank you for sharing such clear directions, but also for taking the time to calculate the cuts to make different sized blocks! This tutorial came at a perfect time for me. I have a cute retro Christmas fabric that is begging me to do some fussy cutting, but I'd need at least two different sized blocks to do justice to the cuts. This tutorial, along with your other tutorials that seem to give me 'permission' to have more/less border around my blocks, has inspired me to get busy using my existing stash!

momto1 said...

I love this block. Thanks for putting these instructions together!

Carole S.

Melanie said...

THank you so much for the tutorial and all the sizes!!! Love those pandas!

Alicia Millsap said...

Lorna, I love the pandas! I appreciate your tutorials and varying size blocks. This will help my stash pile!